Sunday, November 4, 2007

Two things...

Hi! It's been a while since I've posted something. I think I've been waiting to have something huge and interesting to tell you, but then I figured that the small things can be huge and interesting too! So...



1. The storks have returned to Alcala. Since I arrived at the start of September, I noticed on every tall building, steeple, and bell tower there are these huge bird nests. I thought they were an eye sore because they are huge and definitely alter the skyline and the beautiful rooftops of historic Alcala de Henares, but they are a local legend and are a symbol for the town. I was also beginning to think the presence of the stork was just a myth because I hadn't seen one. People talked about the storks, but they weren't to be seen. Then one day at the end of October, I turned the corner on my way to Calle Mayor and there was this huge majestic white feathered creature shimmering in the sunlight atop one of the nests! A STORK! A real life stork. No longer are they only in stories bearing children, but they are alive and well and gigantic! I read that they can be up to three feet tall. That's a big bird!

and 2. Today, the church service was really great. I realized what I love about the services here. They are so spontaneous and there's so much room for the Holy Spirit to work. Between praise songs, it's not uncommon for someone just to start praying out loud. Something they've been struck by with the songs or something God is talking to them about. and today it was so great...we were singing the song "I will sing of your love forever" in Spanish (of course...Cantare de tu amor por siempre...) and then seamlessly the English speakers started singing in english and then just as seamlessly the body went back to Spanish. It was amazing and I loved it. Anyone who said language was a barrier to the gospel wasn't taking into consideration the work of God for the building up of His own church! ( I wanted to post a picture for this too...but there aren't any pictures of the Holy Spirit working..that I know of...WAIT! There is. We all had a meal together afterward and talked about how God could continue to do a good work in this small church...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. It all sounds so excellent. I also have to mention that your hair is looking very long in this picture.

I love how every picture you take with food in it has Fanta in it as well. I also notice that I can't tell what kind of food you all ate at this gathering because every plate and dish is completely empty. I guess one thing is for sure, your church community knows how to eat.

We love and miss you,
Reed, Ashton, Ryan, and Sara

Lisa said...

Yes, if you want a soft drink here, you get Fanta (orange or lemon) and
you get Coca Cola products. Pepsi is more expensive. figure that. and there's no flavors...like cherry or vanilla. no dr. pepper. no mountain dew. I'm definitely learning about the infinite amount of choices we have in the states. Companies know that offering more choices is going to sell more in America. Very limited options here. Which is fine. Makes it easier to choose.

Yes, my hair. It needs cut, but I'm scared because I see how the girls have their hair cut here and I don't want that done to me. It's some funky mullet variation.

We had great food - bbq chicken, kabobs, sausage, salad, spanish tortilla, bread...good stuff.

Anonymous said...

tbone go for the FE-Mullet