Tuesday, November 27, 2007

One Crazy Week

A week in the life of the short-term missions worker

Tuesday - Wednesday: A week ago I was stuck in bed for two days with a sinus pressure headache that I thought would never go away. I chose against medication or doctor and instead relied on good old vitamin C to cure me. It worked just fine, and I was all better and energetic for Thanksgiving!

Thursday: Thanksgiving was great. See the previous post. I am enjoying each opportunity to be the American. I love the USA. I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Friday: I met Karen and Mija to go into Madrid to work at the WEC office. I spent a few hours organizing financial files and shredding records older than 10 years. They had phone bills from 1991! With a pile of empty file folders and empty space on the shelf, I felt like we made good progress.




Saturday:
I slept late and then all day we prepared for a surprise 15th birthday party for Beatriz. Her sister has been planning this party in secret for weeks and it's been hard to keep it a surprise! We blew up and hung up about 300 balloons, set the table, put up a ton of other decorations, they prepared the food, etc. The party was a great success. Tons of people came and she was totally surprised!!




Sunday:
Church! Got up early, made coffee, helped the praise team put together their powerpoint slides for the songs, started a new study in our Sunday School class about God. God is real. Can we really see God working in our lives personally? Maria preached about Caleb. When you act righteously but are met with injustice and you have to live with the consequences of others disobedience. Caleb waited 45 years to receive the reward promised by God. After church I went to McDonald's for lunch. I know what you're thinking. I didn't come all the way to Spain to eat McDonald's. I have no excuse. But for the curious, it all tastes the same as in America.

Monday: I woke up early and met the WEC team. I was hired for the day as chef. I cooked a full New Mexican meal for them while they had their field meeting. They talked business for 5 hours and I cooked Spanish rice, quesadillas, green beans and then did the dishes and cleaned up and went for a walk. I enjoyed this alot. It was a very practical thing that I could do to help them out so they didn't have to take time out from meeting in order to cook or prepare food. It also was a challenge because I had never been in charge of preparing a meal for 8 people! I was nervous it would taste bad or not come out right or not be enough or be way too much! My heart pounded all morning. But alas, the food was met with high praise and there was just enough for everyone. God is good.

Tuesday:
I went to Spanish class where we talked about Cuba. Random, I know. Then I went to the Rainbows of Hope office to help build a cement floor in the basement. We mixed concrete Casas por Cristo style!! When I offered to help and told them I had experience in that exact process, they were quite impressed! I know I will be terribly sore tomorrow!!!

And that's it. One week. It went by fast! One thing I've been thinking about is how God leads us into situations where we can use our giftedness but at the same time be challenged in new ways. And the joy that brings! I highly recommend it.

I look forward to a new week. I wonder how many times in the next 5 months I will hear, "Now that sounds like a job for a short-termer!!"

No comments: