Sunday, November 18, 2007

Food Adventures

I know that Calamari is very common in the states, but considering it's squid, I've always avoided it. However, today I decided I should try it. Here's a photo and a little blurb I found to explain.
"Fried squid or in Spanish calamares fritos is a very popular appetizer or tapa in Spain and here in the USA. You might know this dish by the name Calamares a la Romana. Wherever and however you buy the squid, they need to be cleaned before cooking. The spines, ink sacks and heads should be discarded. If you are cleaning the squid yourself, don’t throw away the tentacles because those are good to eat, too! Cleaned, frozen squid bodies may also be available and are good to make large calamar rings." Hm.

For the record, the taste was a little bit boring and I had to concentrate really hard on NOT concentrating too hard on what I was eating. The texture was hard and rubbery and once I started thinking about how it was the tough flesh of some animal that used to be wandering around the open ocean, I thought I wasn't going to be able to finish. Next time I'll stick to the always wonderful Patatas Bravas.

On a happier note in food adventures, Ester and I got together last night to try our hand at making another real Spanish Tortilla. This one came out perfectly and beautifully and we decided it was better than any Spaniard could make! Hooray for us!

2 comments:

Kristin's Blog said...

I love fried calamari...tastes like Chicken!

Johann said...

Eww...I'm proud of you for trying it though!