Thursday, October 25, 2007

Drum roll please...

TOP TEN

To commemorate my 2 month anniversary in Spain, I thought I’d share my top ten favorite things. Picture David Letterman and his creepy smile:

10. Going to the vegetable market in the street and getting 2 kilos de patatas for like 1,50euros.

9. When people practice speaking English to me.

8. Los Cubanos in the other house who refer to me as “La Americana”. I thought it was cute until the day I realized we were even because I refer to them as Los Cubanos.

7. Singing praise songs in Spanish.

6. Watching old couples walk down the street holding hands.

5. The occasional real hug and not just the kiss both cheeks thing.

4. Alex who calls me “Mi Hermana Trujillo” in a really thick Spanish accent.

3. Trying to avoid touching hand rails in the metro to avoid contracting the plague. It’s become a game.

2. My cup of coffee every morning made with such tender loving care.

1. Listening to people pray in other languages. It's the coolest thing because I think it becomes less about the words that are being said and more about hearing the voice of someone speaking the Almighty King and knowing that He created them and He created the language that they are speaking and he listens with such love to His children in all languages.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the first time I was in a worship service with people who spoke a different language during my missions internship in Europe. We were in then-Yugoslavia, and to hear the words of familiar song in another language - it was amazing! And when I played a song on my trumpet - and they sang in their language - WOW!

It made me realize how "isolated" I had felt as an American. God doesn't speak just English. Look at the myriad languages He created!

Thank You, Lord!

Love ya,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Are you bagging on David Letterman. Easy!

Ryan

Kristin's Blog said...

You are so creative Lisa! Well put!

Anonymous said...

#1 was my favorite it gave me the chills! My prayers are with you Lisa.
GAP
Michelle Lippitt