Saturday, October 13, 2007

And so it begins

I didn't know that once I got all the daily living things figured out then God would begin the teaching and changing and convicting, but alas He hath. I know where to buy food and how to do my laundry and I know where to take the trash bag when it's full...but I don't know is how to adjust my mind and my heart to living and breathing and worshiping and serving our God in a foreign land. You think it would be the same, but it's not. Everything is different. The things that were easy are now terribly difficult and the things that were hard are harder still.



A few questions that have been given me this week by more than one person are: what are my biggest frustrations, biggest blessings and what are things that are found to be different than expected.



Different than expected: Mostly regarding the church. The church is a new and small church plant, so the leadership and administration and running of it are quite different than I'm used to. There isn't a full time staff member. It seems sometimes that the running of the church is a part time job for everyone. Also, because the church meets in the basement of a living residence, it's not even feasible to have it's own space. "Church" is torn down after the service and set up every Saturday night and during the week the space is used to dry laundry, watch television, check email, eat, etc. I suppose I expected there to be this reserved place for the church to be. And I don't mean just the space...I mean the people. They scatter during the week and have limited contact. It's something the leaders hope to see change and the people to grow closer in this way.



Frustrations: I wish I could talk to the people in a more productive way. I want to be able to have true conversation about life and love and God, but until my Spanish gets a little better it is a real barrier. I want them to have an interest in me as well, to know me. I want to tell them about me and my life as well. They don't ask. Do they care? I'm also confronted with quite a large conviction from our Great God about my own limitations. I can't force "ministry" or force my hands to do something or force my presence to have a purpose. I can't be the god of my life that decides what needs to be done and then do it of my own power. I'm learning that perhaps this is what I've alway done...and what a terrifying place to stand and realize this. To come to a foreign land to truly learn what it means to have a God and a Lord above myself. When you ask God to make you uncomfortable and teach you to trust Him in new and deeper ways....He is faithful.



Blessings: I'm a simplist. My favorite blessings have been such small things. Having Beatriz paint my fingernails and put cute little purple flowers on them. Making Maribel laugh. Opening the door when people arrive for the prayer meeting and have them smile at me and hug me because they know me and care to greet me with smiles. Finding and buying flour tortillas at the supermarket. My prayer time I've etched in my schedule before class every day. Alex calling me "Mi hermana Trujillo" in his thick Spanish accent.



Una foto y un versiculo para nosotros. Romans 9:21 "Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, what honesty. Thank you for reminding us that it's not all rosey. It's good for us to know that life is hard for the missionaries...even missionaries in developed countries. I look forward to seeing how God will let this affect you in everyday life when you return to the US. We love you. We pray for you.

Ryan

Kristin's Blog said...

Lisa...I love you and I think what you are doing is amazing! I think that people do care, they just don't know how to express it and they don't know that you have a longing to know that they do care. Keep up the extraordinary faith that you have and thank you for strengthening us back home!
Love your most beautiful cousin! HA! Kristin

Johann said...

Lisa, I'd like to tell you how much I appreciate your insight into life as a missionary. I definitely will be better prepared thanks to you!
Stay safe sister,
Karl