Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Dinner and a reading and a bus ride.

Books I’ve Read since leaving Albuquerque:
1. “Surely you’re joking, Mr. Feynman” by Richard Feynman.
2-6. The entire Lineage of Grace series (Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, Mary) by Francine Rivers.
7. The Last Sin Eater by Francine Rivers
8. Safely Home by Randy Alcorn



Recipes I’ve learned (In the “I’m-not-really-a-chef way of giving instructions):



Pakistani Kima
Brown ground beef with onion and a bit of garlic.
Add can of chopped tomato in juice and two large potatoes cut into bite sized cubes, a good tablespoon full of curry, 1.5 teaspoon of salt and a dash each of ginger, cinnamon, tumeric. Simmer in frying pan for 25 minutes. Serve over rice.

Spanish Tortilla
Cut potato into really thin slices or pieces.
Cut up onion into really small pieces.
Fry up both in frying pan until soft.
Take out of frying pan.
Mix up some eggs in a bowl.
Make sure the grease in the pan is really hot.
Add the three things.
Let stand like you’re making an omelette.
Flip over to cook the other side. (this requires either a pan that folds and has a top and a bottom, or a normal frying pan and a lot of skill)
Tada!


Cinnamon Bread:
We really did make it, but all I remember is it involved yeast...flour...then one hour to rise then pound it down. Another hour to rise then pound it down. Iron it out flat. Spread on Cinnamon and Sugar mixture. Roll it up. Put it in the loaf pan. Let it rise again. Put it in the oven to a golden brown.


Burrito:

Given the wonderful gifts from my parents, I had some refried beans and some Sadie's salsa to play with. I found some good flour tortillas. Next I wanted sausage. I stared at the salchicha section at the supermarket without much ability to read the labels and since I didn't know what I'd be buying, I settled on bratwurst. Cheddar cheese is hard to come by, so I chose an already shredded four cheese mixture containing mozzerella, cheddar, gouda, and emmental cheeses. I sliced the brat, sauteed with onion. I put the beans, the meat, the cheese, the salsa in the tortilla and if that wasn't the most delicious thing I'd ever had in my life!!!

The books and the food all are extremely wonderful and should be attempted by all. Enjoy!


The picture is me waiting for the bus on a sunny afternoon. The red "art" in the background is new and has become a good landmark to remember which bus stop to get off at when I'm coming home. Some think it looks like a hammer and sickle. I think it looks like two fingers...or two fangs biting the sky. By the way, my teeth are doing fabulously and I'm wearing my retainers with great due diligence. My orthodontist would be thrilled. Hey mom...can you call Dr. Fink and tell him to read my blog?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I honestly noticed your teeth right away. They look great.

It's pretty crazy thinking of you living off of public transportation. You're suppose to be driving a little white care with a Lobos license plate on the front. What's up with that?

You're awesome.

Ryan

Unknown said...

You're so beautiful Lisa! I miss you.