Friday, August 31, 2007

That´s what I get for praying for boldness...

Flying over Madrid as the plane was getting ready to land I was so amazed at how much the landscape looked like the American Southwest. Landing wasn´t a problem. Finding my luggage wasn´t a problem. The problem came when I couldn´t find the people there to pick me up.

I didn´t know who was coming or what they looked like. The people in Spain aren´t the most friendly and helpful, so I stood by the exit for about an hour just hoping to catch eyes with someone that was also looking for me! Pretty soon I figured I needed to do something about this mess. I remembered I had the cell phone number of the person I was supposed to meet. I asked a helpful lady where I could find a payphone (telefono?). She gave me directions in Español and I totally understood her!! I went passed the cafeteria to the left and found them.

I stared down the telephone for a while and decided I needed euro coins to use it. I had a few dollars in my pocket so I went on search for someplace to change my money. Had to ask another lady. I asked en Español so she figured I knew enough. She started speaking all the instructions really fast in español so I quickly had to tell her "En ingles...". I followed her instructions but all I really understood was to go to the second floor. Elevator. Now realize this whole time I´m carrying around my two large suitcases on one of those little dolly things. I went upstairs and didn´t see any place to change money. Had to ask someone else. This lady also gave me directions in spanish that I totally understood!! Went to the American Express counter, changed my $24 into 16euros and I felt stupid asking the guy if the amount of cents he gave me was going to be enough for a payphone. I held out my little poor hand with the few coins in it.

Back downstairs to the payphone. Fumbled around a bit and made the call. When Steve actually answered the phone and I was speaking to someone I knew, I was sooo relieved. We talked about where we were and I went back to where I had been waiting. I felt like crying! (I told myself I was NOT going to cry in the Madrid airport!!!) I was going to be found!! About two seconds later he walked right up to me!

THIS ENTIRE TIME THEY HAD BEEN TWENTY FEET AWAY!!! I even saw them...I just didn´t know that was who I was looking for.

Bottom line: when you pray for boldness, God gives you situations where you have to be bold. Ask the hard questions. Make yourself vulnerable and step out there to accomplish what you need done.

First impression of Madrid: it´s beautiful. It looks just like any large American city. It even looks alot like home. Lots of graffiti. And thousands of years old buildings (I guess that´s not like America). The jetlag is killing me. It´s 1am and I´m not tired at all (it´s 5pm in Albuquerque).

Hope you enjoyed my story. Tomorrow I am going to go to the house I´ll be living at while I´m here and meet the people I get to live with!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa, I had hoped he would have been holding a sigh of some kind. Anyhow, at least you got to use your Spanish for once and they actually understood you and you them. We are so relieved to know that you are finally there. Are you going to have your days and nights mixed up for a while? Doesn't sound like your dollars are going to get too many euros. Keep up the good work, your blog is great. xoxo Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we love to hear from you. Your mom and I were exchanging phone calls today wondering if you had arrived or not.

So, I've got a story for you. Today I was sitting at Flying Star (Juan Tabo and Montgomery) having a meeting with Randy S. All of the sudden we see police cars outside. We start noticing that people are staring outside. Then, we notice there are probably 6 or 8 police cars out there. Then bomb squad and SWAT people start showing up. Randy and I continue with our meeting but we were very distracted. It was crazy. The restraunt was on what I would call a "voluntary lock-down." That basically means that they didn't force us to stay but they strongly encouraged it and advised we use the patio door if we felt we needed to leave.

Come to find out, there was a guy who went to a Drs. office and had a bomb on his chest and put fanny packs on the Dr. and his assistant and then took them to the back to rob the bank. He got away from the bank, I don't think he had any money though. He's still on the loose with a gun. Police and FBI are searching for him. It's crazy.

That's my story. Thought you'd enjoy it. We love and miss you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an adventure in your very first moments of Spain! I'm so excited for you!!! Good luck with your big day!

I'm not on the right schedule either, as it is 2:40am in Albuquerque. But I'm flying to Portland later this morning, and I have to leave for the airport at 4am. I might as well just stay up at this point, right?

Anyway, I'm so glad you have this website, and I can't wait to keep reading your updates! Love you!

Jess Taylor

Lisa said...

Ma and Pa...they said they needed to start being more organized and make signs when picking people up. they were very apologetic. ya, the dollar doesn't go too far here.

Ryan! I saw security walking around with machine guns at heathrow airport. it's scary. was it that wellsfargo on the corner? have the caught the guy yet?

JESS!!! I'm so glad you finally have gotten a chance to go home. that's exciting. Really soak it all in!

Anonymous said...

It was the Bank of America (our bank) on the corner. As of this morning they still haven't found the guy.

I love being able to connect with you like this. Praise God for the internet.

Ryan

Johann said...

Tbone! I'm glad you got there safely with all your luggage! It's awesome that you understood (almost) all the instructions, too.
And God is amazing with how he teaches us. I hope you keep stepping out boldly!