Sunday, August 26, 2007

More Philly

I promise photos once I am able to get my laptop running and my photos downloaded...but I wanted to send another update even before they are ready.

We've been on information overload this week. I've sat through classes on culture shock, spiritual warfare, logistics of traveling, not creating dependency on the field, how to evaluate your expectations for the trip, and on and on. I've had the chance to hear stories and testimonies from so many WEC missionaries about where they've been and how God called them there. Ladies from Puerto Rico sent to minister in India and couples from South Africa sent to Colombia and other amazing things. We watched videos on the life and work of Steve Saint (I highly recommend learning about his testimony!). I've had to eat meals with my hands, take shoes off to enter rooms, and wear the same outfit for two days in a row all in an effort to expose us to things we may encounter in other cultures. I ate pink mashed potato cupcakes.

Regarding the things I'm learning about Spain...they are a dark people with a dark passed. A people that claim allegiance to the Roman Catholic church but who lead very worldly and materialistic lives. A people who are very closed off to any race, religion, or idea that sets itself up against the purity of their Catholic blood. But they are also terribly loyal and passionate, they know how to welcome people into their homes and lives. I'm going to have to get used to the daily schedule...to work at 7 or 8, the breakfast at 10:30, the break in the afternoon, the large meal around 3pm, then more work and then dinner late into the night around 10pm. When do they sleep?

You can pray for: my parents at home who miss me terribly and my nerves about the traveling. I know that prayers for me are very important, but please also take this opportunity to familiarize yourselves with the needs of Spain and the people there. Start praying that God would lead us to the people who need to hear his gospel and that we would have many opportunities to make a difference in the communities.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kasey says HI oh yeah and i do too. from Louis

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some great stuff going on. The meal schedule sounds crazy. How funny.

We are praying for you. We are so excited to hear about what God is going to do in your life and the lives of the people you come in contact with.

God bless,
Ryan