Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Let's drive to Burgos!

On Saturday we drove to Burgos which is about 3 hours north of Madrid for a prayer day. They meet in Burgos because it's a central location for all the teams working in different places in Spain. There's teams in the Northwest and teams in the Northeast and a large team around Madrid. All involved in various church plants and ministries and businesses. All in Spain because God has brought them here to do his work. It's a neat thing. Every once in a while, they get together to pray. To lift up their needs and praises and to communicate with the team the status of their ministries. It was a day of encouragement and catching up and Prayer! In the morning, Ester and I got the chance to hang out with the children so the parents could focus. We did a few crafts, went to the park, hung out. I had alot of fun. We had 8 children who spoke their various home languages, plus spanish. At times it was difficult to communicate, but they could translate for each other and for us. They seemed to be used to that!! I'm amazed at how easily children learn new things. Missionary children are in regular spanish schools, so they learn the language easily. Here's some photos from the drive up and the children. (the playground equipment in Spain is dangerous!!! They would never allow such things in the States...parents would sue! That circle thing we're walking on also spins and is tilted...)




As for me, I started Spanish class this week. Learning Spanish in a Spanish class in Spain. (I'm still overwhelmed with the fact that I've got such an amazing opportunity in just being here!) They put me in level 3, but it's difficult!! It's a bit harder than I needed and for two hours I have to concentrate so hard to understand maybe 70% of what's said. I'm exhausted by the end of class. I go home every day and look up the words from class that I didn't know. I had to ask the professor today if he could talk a bit slower so that I could understand more. The rest of the girls in class are from..Brazil, Bulgaria, Romania and they have been in Spain for a year or three working. So they can speak Spanish but have never studied it on paper. I'm the opposite. I have studied it on paper but I have trouble speaking. I'm going to keep trying. I'm sure it'll get easier.


Additional Exciting News: I laid my eyes on some real New Mexican Tortillas this week. I think a quesadilla is in my near future. Maybe a breakfast burrito also.

5 comments:

Johann said...

I'm going to have the same trouble when I get to Germany. I've studied it on paper, and had some practice speaking it, but I'm not nearly as good in conversation as I am in books.

Lisa said...

you'll be fine. study a little before you get there and start talking to yourself in German. =)

Lisa

Anonymous said...

That tilty twirly thing looks like a lot of fun! Oh, and real New Mexican tortillas! What a treat to have a little part of home!

I just love it when you post about the awesome adventure that God is taking you on! I am so proud of you and all that you are brave enough to go and experience. Thank you for sharing a part of your experience with us.

My prayers are with you. We miss you but we know that God has you right where He wants you!

Carolyn

Kristin's Blog said...

I'm glad that you are having fun Lisa! I bet the food is yummy! You're in my thoughts and prayers!
Love Kristin

Anonymous said...

mmm breakfast burrito. well see ya later

brother