Monday, December 24, 2007

A Spanish Christmas

MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone!! I love this time of year. I've been soaking it all in. The lights, the energy, the freshness in the air, the trees. Thinking about our tiny baby Savior born with angels singing over him and shepherds giving honor, I get a thrill in my bones. We sang O Come All Ye Faithful and Silent Night yesterday in church, in Spanish. That was great!! O come let us adore Him, Christ the Lord...Venid adoremos al Cristo Jesus. Then we enjoyed a fellowship time of hot chocolate and cookies. Hot chocolate is a very common drink to share at Christmas here in Spain.

I woke up late this morning, took my time getting ready, took the scissors to my hair then went out to the Monday morning market. A street length market full of vendors selling everything from underwear to potatoes. The sun is shining bright in a sky so crisp and blue I thought I was in New Mexico! It's a remarkable 13 degrees C (55F). The warmth feels good after several days of drizzling rain and clouds.

The Prestons have invited the team (those who are in town for holidays) over to their house for Christmas dinner. Karen and I are going tonight and are planning on watching movies and playing games. We'll get up tomorrow and oooh and aaah over our gifts and then start cooking. Coralie is planning roast chicken and vegetables with a lemon curd cheesecake for dessert.

Christmas thoughts: God never fails in giving us what we need. I haven't felt homesick this season like I expected and I believe it's due to the fact that God has surrounded me here with people that take care of each other and have welcomed me as part of their family for the time I will be here. Also, the overwhelming outpouring of gifts and encouragement from people in the States has warmed my heart. Also, I've been readjusting my attitude a bit. In a situation where everything is hard and I'm challenged every day in just daily living (the language, community living, multiple responsibilities warring with my desire to withdraw) God is faithful in reminding me that part of that "suffering" we endure for his name's sake is what helps us see him more clearly. Jesus left the comfort and glory of heaven to come live in this dreadful place called Earth. Praise God he did.

Be filled with His peace and joy this season! Enjoy these photos from around Madrid and Alcala.






















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are talking to you on the phone right now and sending a comment on your blog haha

Kristin's Blog said...

What beautiful Christmas pictures! Feliz Navidad Lisa! I love you!

Anonymous said...

Wow, they go all out. Very nice.

Ryan

Anonymous said...

Jesus has the coolest birthday parties!!!!

Carolyn